Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge:
This refuge has approximately 4,000 acres of restored prairie, wetlands and forested areas. There are five miles of trails, which includes a mile of paved trail.
Located on the west side of the Missouri River, 3 miles east of Fort Calhoun.
3720 Rivers Way
Ft. Calhoun, NE 68023
Phone: (402) 468-4313
DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge:
DeSoto is an important national wildlife refuge located around an old oxbow of the Missouri River. It
encompasses 8,361 acres both in Iowa and Nebraska. It includes a seven-mile long oxbow lake, as well as
forest, grassland, cropland, and wetland habitats. This area serves as a stopover area for migrating
waterfowl. Thousands of geese and ducks visit the refuge to rest and refuel during fall migration.
There is a great abundance of other bird species and wildlife throughout the year. A visitor center,
open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., provides opportunities for viewing waterfowl on the lake. Outdoor
viewing platforms are available for closer viewing. There is a 12 mile drive around the refuge and 5 hiking
trails for exploration. A 247 species bird list is available. Entry fee required.
Located about halfway between Blair, NE, and Missouri Valley, Iowa.
1434 316th Lane
Missouri Valley, IA 51555
Phone: (712) 642-4121
Fort Atkinson State Historic Park:
Established in 1820 by request of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, this area includes 2 miles of trails. The area
has a cleared grassland area with a reconstructed fort, but is mostly mature riverine hardwood forest.
State park entry permit required.
Located 1 mile east of Fort Calhoun.
Fort Atkinson SHP
PO Box 240
Fort Calhoun, NE 68023-0240
Phone: (402) 468-5611
For local lodging information, attractions, shopping and more, visit www.blairchamber.org
Information Provided by Nebraska Game and Parks Commission and www.nebraskabirdingtrails.com
Boyer Chute National Wildlife Refuge photo taken by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service staff
Swans on the River: Randy Mays for DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge
Fort Atkinson State Historic Park